2006-10-04

python + bookmarks + how not to spend a day

I've had a bunch of bookmarks.html files (the file in which Firefox stores its user's bookmarks) laying around for a long time. Sure, I had to merge them with my current bookmarks and remove the duplicates, but I never seemed to find the time and will to make the effort. So this is about something else. The icons for the entries are stored in the files also and it is those icons that enlarge the files. Of course nowadays the storage space is huge and cheap, so 200K should not make a lot of difference (even 5 times 200K) but it bugged me. And it bugged me good. Well, no more. Yesterday I wrote a python script removing them. I admit that what I wrote is a bloated and clumpsy thing, but still it is mine.

Oh, I have nothing against writing in python something for personal use. The regret for yesterday is all about the useless stuff that filled it - the missed opportunities like not having breakfast and lunch, like relighting the anger for a person that does not deserve any attention whatsoever, or failing to start the long anticipated reinstall of my Gentoo box for I had messed it up pretty darn good.

No comments: